Simple Chocolate Cupcakes/Cake
This is the easiest, totally fool proof recipe for chocolate cake or cupcakes. I have been using it for years, it never fails me. I tried literally hundreds of different recipes for chocolate cake and one day I noticed this on the Hershey’s cocoa can and decided to give it a try, well the rest is history it’s now the only recipe I will use when I make chocolate cake. The cake is moist and delicious, you use vegetable oil instead of butter and I suggest you use Hershey’s cocoa it always turns out perfectly. I will be posting a Valentines Cake recipe using this chocolate cake so consider this a preview of things to come.
Makes: 2 9 inch round cakes or 24 regular size cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa (I use hershey’s) the recipe doesn’t specify whether or not to use dutch or natural cocoa since its a hersheys recipe I use what they say to use.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (If you want to substitute melted butter for the oil its fine)
- 1 cup whole milk at room temperature
- 2 large eggs at room temperature and lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee (Optional but recommended)
- soft butter and flour to prep baking pans or you can use cooking spray
Sounds so rich and chocolatey – all to the good!
Thank you, its very chocolatey and good. Going to do 3 kinds of chocolate or attempt to we’ll see how it turns out. Made the cake today, tomorrow the rest of it.