Whole Foods DC – I am a finalist!!
I submitted a recipe for Beef Short Rib Stew with eggplant and roasted potato and I was chosen as a finalist. If you don’t mind please vote for my recipe. Here is the link to the contest: http://washingtondc.wholefoodsmarketcooking.com/contests/236_your_best_beef_stew
- 6 beef short ribs
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 2 dried limes or juice of 1 lemon
- 1 eggplant peeled and cut into rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium size yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 clove garlic peeled and left whole
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 cups water or flavorful beef stock
- Coat dutch oven with olive oil and heat on medium high, add your chopped onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Add the short ribs and brown on each side, remove from pan and add the tomato paste and cook until it starts to caramelize stirring frequently, put the short ribs back in pan and stir, add your stock or water, dried limes or lemon juice and reduce heat to medium, cover with lid slightly ajar and let slow cook for approximately 4 hours stirring occasionally. If you have whole dried limes with sharp knife poke 2 or 3 small holes or slits in them before adding to the stew. Watch the stew and add more water or stock if you notice the liquid getting low.
- While stew is cooking, heat the oven to 425, toss the potato cubes with some olive oil and lay on parchment lined sheet pan, sprinkle with some salt and pepper and roast in oven until potatoes are browned, you will need to stir them occasionally. When they are done remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven to 375 and lay slices of eggplant on same parchment lined sheet pan, brush each side with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Roast for approximately 20 minutes on each side. The eggplant should be nicely browned and soft. Remove from oven and set aside.
- When the meat is tender and the liquid is thick take the short ribs out, remove the bones and cut meat into chunks and add back to pot, add the eggplant and potatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Serve with basmati rice.