Root Vegetable Potage
- 6 cups flavorful chicken or vegetable stock (preferably homemade)
- 4 medium size potatoes (I like yukon gold) peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots cleaned, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 medium turnip cleaned, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 parsnips peeled cleaned and chopped into large chunks
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 large cloves garlic thinly sliced
- good size handful of mint chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to cook garlic and mint
- sour cream for topping soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
In small fry pan on medium heat add the olive oil, now add the garlic and cook until its just starting to brown, add the chopped mint and cook on low heat for a minute or two, you don’t want the garlic burned but it should be crisp kind of like a garlic chip. Ladle some soup into a bowl, add a dollop of sour cream and spoon some of the garlic and mint over the sour cream.
ALTERNATE METHOD; Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, line a sheet pan with parchment or aluminum foil, lay the cut carrots, parsnips and turnips drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 minutes. They will just start to brown. Remove from oven and add as in step 1 along with the raw potatoes.