Banana Nut Bread With Spiced Streusel Topping-Day 6 Of 7 Days of Holiday Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup mashed very ripe bananas (the recipe calls for 1 cup, I pile it high)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup +2 tbs packed light-brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
Make the streusel topping
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon,cardamom,ginger and salt; cut in butter using a pastry blender or your hands until it forms large moist clumps.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan, top with a layer of the streusel topping.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.