Panko Crusted Fish Sticks with Lime,Tarragon Aioli
Making fish sticks is simple and really so much better than buying commercially prepared frozen ones from the supermarket. They take almost no time to prepare. I know its easier to buy pre-made foods, but why not make your own, you have control over the amount of salt and know exactly what is in them. Ketchup is always great for dipping but I made an aioli that is slightly more sophisticated, don’t get me wrong, I love ketchup but sometimes you just need or want something a little different. You can make the fish sticks and freeze them all you need to do is heat them in the oven and you have a quick and delicious meal in a snap.
2 large Cloves garlic (Give the garlic a quick crush to release the flavor) Don’t pulverize
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon (or 2 tsp dried)
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup +2 tbs garlic infused olive oil
1/2 cup minus 2 tbs vegetable oil (canola)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon Lime zest (the zest of one whole lime)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
black pepper (3 turns of the pepper mill)
- To make the garlic olive oil. You will need a small sauce pan add the 2 peeled garlic cloves to the olive oil and simmer on very low heat until garlic is soft be very careful not to let the garlic get brown turn off the flame after just a few minutes and let the garlic sit in the oil until it softens.. Let cool before making the aioli. I like to make this infused oil ahead of time, sitting overnight gives a more profound garlic flavor.
- Add to blender the 2 egg yolks, the cooled cooked garlic cloves, lime juice, lime zest,tarragon salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- With blender running slowly add the vegetable oil and garlic infused olive oil. The aioli will be thick and creamy and a lovely light green. Adjust seasoning and citrus to your taste.
Panko Crusted Fish Sticks:
1 pound Firm to semi firm fish (I use cod or wild chilean sea bass)
1 cup Panko
2 large eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Heat your oil I like to deep fry the fish sticks, approximately 4 inches of oil in a heavy fry pan.
- Cut your fish into pieces, dip in egg and then in panko.
- Carefully drop your fish sticks into hot oil and fry until golden brown, Remove and place on paper towel to absorb any extra oil. Add additional salt if you like directly after they come out of the oil
- Serve with the aioli or whatever dipping sauce you like.