This is an old recipe I created for my recipe collection on Food52. It’s sort of Southern, primarily because of the white gravy. Now you may think that waffles are only meant to be eaten with syrup or fruit but they are delicious as a savory dish, I thought this would be nice also for Spring since I use spring onions and chives. It’s delicious with pork chops, topped with a poached egg or eaten alone. I added cheese to the waffle batter along with buttermilk making them tangy. If you have never had white gravy before you are in for a treat, it’s delicious. My Mom always made white gravy with pork chops or chicken fried steak or chicken. This is my take on biscuits and gravy. Diet food, definitely not but nice for a splurge.
- 6 spring onions chopped using the white and light green
- 6-8 slices thick cut bacon cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbs flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary (I like it if I am serving pork chops)
- Fry the bacon bits in saute pan until browned, remove from pan and save the fat you will use that for the gravy. Turn flame to med/low and add the spring onion (and optional rosemary) and saute until the onions are soft and translucent then add the flour, whisk until it’s combined with the fat and let cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Whisk in the milk and add the bacon let cook until it thickens, add salt and pepper. Pour over the waffles and garnish with chives.
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 3/4 -2 cup buttermilk (start with 1 3/4 cup if you need more add if too thick)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk and melted butter add the cheddar cheese and chives and stir to combine. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Whip the egg whites until they form a peak, don’t overbeat but they should be quite stiff. Combine the wet and dry ingredients just until almost smooth, now fold in the egg whites. Heat waffle iron, spray with cooking spray or brush with oil or butter and cook the waffles according to the directions for your waffle maker.